Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Homemade Asian Beef with Onions, Broccoli & Quinoa


This recipe is AMAZING! It's super easy and for once actually taste like Asian food and it's not take out! I got it from a website (see link below) and you make your own sauce! I adjusted it to my taste buds and to what I had available.

*Don't forget to log your meals into your myfitnesspal app!

Serves 2 People (with leftovers)
Time: 40 min

What you'll need:
3/4 cup Dry Organic Plain Quinoa
3 cups Frozen or Fresh Broccoli (I exchange this for Snow Peas when they are on sale)
1 Large Yellow Onion 
1 lb Lean Beef (I had about 15 oz once I sliced off fat)

Homemade Asian Sauce
1/4 cup Tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce; but this type is GOOD)
2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoons rice vinegar

Directions:
1. Grab a pot and prepare Quinoa as directed (mine always takes a while)
2. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together and set aside
*If you like a lot of sauce, double the recipe above (but it will change the nutritional info below

3. Slice onions, set aside

4. I used frozen Broccoli because it's all I had. So I thawed it out in the microwave and set aside
5. Slice Beef into THIN slices  

6. In a large skillet, lightly spray some non-fat cooking spray, add slices of Beef. They will cook quickly because they are so thin. Cook for about 1-2 min on each side then set aside cooked Beef into a separate bowl. Continue until all Beef is cooked.
*I added a little white pepper to the Beef while it cooked (just because I like it) 


7.In the same pan add Onions, Garlic and Broccoli. Saute for 1 min next add all of the beef. After 30 seconds add the sauce you made earlier, cook for about 2 more min

8. Check on Quinoa it should be done 

9. Turn off heat, measure out 1/2 cup Quinoa into a bowl, and then measure out 1 cup of the Beef veggie mix
10. ENJOY!

*Reminder to measure out all of your portions!

1 Serving Size:  
1 cup Beef and Onion/Broccoli Mix 250 calories
1/2 cup cooked Quinoa 160 calories
Total Calories: 410 Calories

**This website rocks! Thanks for the Asian Sauce Recipe :) http://juliasalbum.com/2014/09/asian-beef-with-snow-peas/

No comments:

Post a Comment