Friday, January 2, 2015

Healthy Tomato Basil Chicken with Quinoa


I love a good chicken breast that isn't DRY! This recipe is succulent, easy and a hit with guests! I advise you to weigh out your Chicken Breasts and to use only FRESH basil, it does make a difference! I chose to serve this with Organic Plain Quinoa but you can choose to have salad or some pasta on the side!

Don't forget to log your meal into your myfitnesspal app!

Serves about 2 people (with some leftovers) 
Time: About 40 min

What You'll Need:
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts trimmed (or how ever many people you're feeding; 1 per guest)
1 can (10 oz) Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Chilies (Mild)
2 Small Yellow Onions, sliced or diced (your preference)
4 minced Garlic Cloves
1/2 cup Fresh Basil
1/3 cup Chicken Broth (I used Swanson brand)
1 Tbsp Light Butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light)
Salt, pepper & oregano
1/2 cup dry Quinoa 
***This is the brand I used: 



Directions:
1. Pour Quinoa into a sauce pan and prepare as directed on package (mine always takes longer than the chicken so I start that first, also keep an eye on it!)
*Uncooked Quinoa looks like this:


2. Make sure your chicken in trimmed of all fats and sprinkle salt, pepper, and oregano on all sides

3. On a semi-deep non-stick pan (I sprayed mine with some non-fat cooking spray LIGHTLY), place both seasoned chicken breasts and start to cook
4. About half way through that process, I add the juice from the can of Rotel Tomatoes and 1/3 cup chicken broth, to juice up the chicken and not let it dry out

5. Once the chicken is about cooked all the way through (no longer pink), turn the heat down and add the tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, onions and cook covered for about 5-10 min until the onions are soft
*Before:



6. Add the butter, let that mix all in
*After:
7. Check on Quinoa, it should be all soaked up by now and ready to eat
*Cooked Quinoa:

8. Serve chicken breast and onions/tomatoes/basil/juices upon the cooked quinoa
9. ENJOY :)

Serving Size:
1 Chicken Breast (mine measured to 6.1 oz.) 150 Calories
1/2 cup of all veggies above 89 Calories
1/4 cup dry quinoa (makes 1/2 cup once cooked) 160 Calories
Total Calories: 399 Calories

*This calorie information will change based upon how much your chicken breast weighs and if you use different ingredients. I encourage you to log it all in your myfitnesspal app!

**I altered this recipe to fit my taste buds and style! I couldn't be more thankful for this recipe provided by http://www.laaloosh.com/2013/07/10/tomato-basil-chicken-recipe/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment