Sunday, February 8, 2015

Homemade (& Healthy) Tomato Basil Soup

I never liked tomato soup until like a year ago! I found my love for it after I tried Panera Bread's Creamy Tomato Soup, but eating there every week for some soup (soup is my favorite food lol) is expensive. So naturally, I looked up copy cat recipes for Panera Bread's Creamy Tomato Soup! I saw this recipe: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/09/creamy-tomato-soup-panera-copycat-recipe/ and eventually I changed it so much it no longer is Panera's Creamy Tomato Soup but a healthier version and DELICIOUS :) Plus there are only 64 calories per cup!!! Everyone who has tried my recipe says they love it so I thought I'd share!!

*You will need a blender or an immersion bender for this recipe!

Be sure to add your meal into your myfitnesspal app and to weigh/measure out all of your portions!

Serves 4 (with leftovers)
Time: 30 min

What You'll Need:
2 (28 oz) cans Dei Fratelli All Natural Whole Tomatoes

1 Large Yellow Onion, sliced
10 Big Fresh Basil leaves, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Chicken Stock or Broth (try to use reduce sodium)

1/4 cup Fat Free Half and Half
1 Tbsp Sugar (regular sugar cane not Stevia)
1 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 Tbsp Kosher salt 

1 Tbsp Pepper

Directions:
1. Slice your Onion, roughly chop your Basil. Set aside
2. In a large pot add EVOO, Garlic and Onions. Saute until translucent 
*Before:
*After: 
3. Add Peeled Tomatoes (juice and all), Chicken Broth/Stock, and Sugar; bring to a simmer
4. Cook uncovered until it's thickened
5. Add Half and Half, Basil, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper. Cook for 3-5 min more
6. Using an immersion blender (or a blender), puree soup to your preference. I like some chunks left but that's your call
7. Once you've got the consistency you like, taste it. It might need more Salt/Pepper or more Half and Half or even more Basil. Season to taste :)
8. Serve up and enjoy!

*Mine made about 11 cups worth! Serve with a salad (with light dressing*) and some bread*! Calories will vary using different dressings and breads!

1 Serving Size:
2 cup Tomato Basil Soup 128 calories
1 tsp Parmesan Cheese 20 calories
3 oz Salad 20 calories
1 Tbsp Dressing* 35 calories
1 Slice Bread* 50 calories
Total Calories: 253 Calories

No comments:

Post a Comment