Sunday, March 8, 2015

Vegetarian Stir Fry with Homemade Sauce

I have never made anything vegetarian because I have a protein based diet but I recently had The Girls over for an Asian Inspired Family Night. My friend Libby is a vegetarian so I looked up some new recipes to try but every one had some sort of sauce that wasn't vegetarian (fish sauce, etc.). So I went with making an all veggie blow out stir fry with my homemade "Asian" sauce! Luckily, I have made stir fries in the past so I had an idea of what I was doing and everyone enjoyed it!! The best part was that it only was $5 total to make!!! Scale this recipe down if it's a small get-together because I used over a POUND of veggies! Also if you'd like to add meat to this I totally recommended it! It will change the below nutritional info but if you're like me, where you need a high protein meal to keep you feeling full, add some meat!

Be sure to add your meal into your myfitnesspal app and to weigh/measure out all of your portions!

Serves 6-8 people
Time: 1h15min

What You'll Need:
For the sauce:
1/2 cup Tamari Sauce
2 tsp Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce
4 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
6 cloves Garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp White Pepper 

For the Stir Fry:
1 Red Bell Pepper (168 grams), sliced
1 Green Pepper (167 grams), sliced
8.8 oz Snow Peas, cleaned
1 large Red Onion (8.7 oz), sliced
2 1/2 cups chopped Carrots 
6 cups Zucchini (Julienne Peeled to look like noodles, then chop up the center)
4 cups Broccoli (1 head)
1 bunch Green Onion/Chives, loosely chopped (24 Tbsp worth)
4 oz Fresh Mushrooms, loosely chopped
1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce

Directions:
1. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce (above), mix well, set aside
2. Wash all veggies
3. Chop, clean, dice, slice all veggies. This will take you a while
4. In a Wok or large saute pan, lightly spray with non-fat cooking spray
5. Add all veggies into pan/wok, cover, stirring every few min making sure all veggies get cooked
*Before:
6. After about 15-20 min, your veggies will look bright and start to soften, this is the time you add the Sauce
7. Heat through, covered
8. Turn off heat, serve and enjoy!
*After:

*Mine made about 15 cups worth!!

**We enjoyed our Family Night pot luck style. I made the main dish, Libby made fresh Veggie Spring Rolls with Hoisin Sauce (THESE WERE TO DIE FOR BTW), Alyson made an awesome beverage which I have no idea what was in it (lol) and Mallory made a refreshing Pear Pie with a Frangipani middle, which was so naturally sweet and delicious (it was like a tart in my mind). It was such a great time cooking together and catching up!!!

1 Serving Size: 
1 cup Stir Fry 60 calories
Total Calories: 60 Calories

No comments:

Post a Comment